There are many ways to ensure that your business is kept safe and secure from intruders and thieves. Criminals look to burglarize buildings that they feel are not secure, and the more intimidating the security presence at your business, the less likely you are to be targeted.
SOUND THE ALARM
Alarm systems and video security work hand in hand and provide you with both an audible alarm in the case of a break in, as well as video footage to help you capture the criminal.
- If you already have an alarm system in place, ensure that you or your employees turn it on before you close up for the day
- Test regularly to confirm that your alarm system will be able to perform as required
- Train employees on how to set the alarm functions
- If you only have an alarm system, consider adding a video security system to the mix
MAKE YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM VISIBLE
Deter criminals from approaching your business by emphasizing your building’s security features. Once a criminal sees that there is a security system in place, they will think twice about attempting a break in.
- Make sure your cameras are clearly visible, even if this means mounting imitation (dummy) cameras
- Post warning signs and window stickers as well
If you have proper lighting around your property, criminals will be less likely to enter it for fear of being seen.
- Install motion detection lights around entrances and exits
- Ensure there are limited objects and/or shadows that criminals can hide behind
- Leave some outdoor lights on when you leave for the evening
- Use timers to turn indoor lights on and off sporadically. This makes it look like someone is still in the building
CONSIDER PATROL MONITORING
If your business is closed on weeknights and weekends, you may want to consider hiring a professional security company to monitor your business during closed hours.
- A security guard visiting your property every few hours is an excellent deterrent to criminals
- Give them up-to-date contact information so they can notify you or the authorities if they notice anything out of the ordinary